Update: Hiring is now closed for this position.
Role: Lead Software Engineer (Full-time)
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: 100% remote
OpenAQ is a 501(c)(3) environmental tech non-profit based in Washington, DC, but with a global reach. Our mission is to aggregate and harmonize open air quality data across the globe and to build an ecosystem of people across sectors and geographies to use these open data to fight the unequal access to clean air to breathe — air inequality. As context, according to the WHO, air pollution is responsible for 1 out of 8 deaths, making air pollution one of the biggest public health and human rights issues of our time.
The OpenAQ Platform currently houses 6+ billion data points (and growing) from 120 countries and is the largest open air quality data platform of its kind. The platform is entirely open source and we receive ~35 million data requests/month to the API, and recently expanded to include low-cost sensor and mobile data as part of a key pilot. OpenAQ is an alum of the Fast Forward Accelerator and in December 2019, OpenAQ received a Good Tech Award from the New York Times.
We are looking for a talented, full-stack senior software engineer to serve as the lead engineer as part of our small, but growing 100% remote (US-based) team. You are passionate about open-source mission-driven technology organizations. Your role will include leading the technical growth of the OpenAQ platform through a combination of strategic technical leadership and hands on technical know-how, but also could include developing a community of open source contributors, speaking with NASA scientists, helping the Kenyan government build an open data API, helping Mongolian air quality activists access data, reviewing code from an open source contributor in Berlin, building a tool with the EPA, and more.
What you will do
- Maintain and expand OpenAQ platform infrastructure through new data sources and data access mechanisms
- Design and develop cutting-edge open source tools, visualizations and platform enhancements in alignment with diverse stakeholder needs, and current and emerging technologies
- Provide technical guidance to OpenAQ projects and help manage software development projects with other organizations
- Help the organization make strategic technical decisions to ensure platform scalability and sustainability
- Collaborate frequently with the rest of the OpenAQ team via video conference
- Occasionally travel (when safe travel resumes): ~5–10%
- You have 3–5+ years of experience in cloud-computing architecture and administration (AWS EC2, S3, etc); experience with Linux administration and security including shell scripting, Docker, and Git
- You have experience deploying and running production applications on AWS
- You have 3–5+ years of experience with Node.js, Python
- You have experience with SQL (e.g. PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases
- You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You know when to use a quick fix and when to invest more time refactoring
- You have experience developing modern web applications
- You are an effective remote collaborator, using clear and professional communication on GitHub, Slack, email, and video chat applications
- You enjoy working and empathizing with the perspectives of a team and community with diverse technical, non-technical, and geographic backgrounds
- You are highly self-motivated and self-directed and like to get things done and find ways to solve problems
Awesome if you have one or more of the following
- Experience with database administration and working with large datasets
- Experience with agile and/or human-centered design principles
- Experience as an open source project contributor or maintainer
- You have worked in developer relations, or served as a tech evangelist or promoter
- You have previously participated in OpenAQ-related projects
- You have worked within a nonprofit or NGO environment
- You have experience working with geospatial software and data
- You care deeply about improving the quality of air for people to breathe around the world
- You are excited about the possibility of using technology for good and exploring new technologies
OpenAQ is committed to diversity and inclusion within our team, and recognizes our role in closing the digital divide, including identifying obstacles that certain groups face in developing skills needed for roles in the technology and social impact sectors. Women, People of Color, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
In addition to monetary compensation, OpenAQ offers competitive benefits that include:
- a 401(k) with 10% match from day one
- a QSEHRA health reimbursement plan
- Paid holidays and unlimited PTO (and we really do encourage our team to take a few weeks of vacation because we all need to rest and recharge)
- A fully remote but highly engaged workplace
- Additional family-friendly flexibility and leave policies
Following OpenAQ’s commitment to environmental justice, we are continually striving to become more inclusive and equitable in our organizational culture and approach to our work. Our goal is to make air quality data universally accessible and open to everyone. In order to do this, we firmly believe that we need a team that is more reflective of the global OpenAQ community. We are looking for team members that can provide diverse perspectives, lived experiences, and problem-solving approaches to help meet our mission. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds and lived experiences to apply.